Federica Brignone declines Sanremo 2026 appearance after Olympic gold medals
The Italian skier, who won two golds at Milan Cortina, said she prefers to remain focused on skiing rather than perform at the festival.
February 17, 2026
Federica Brignone has declined an invitation to appear at Sanremo 2026, despite efforts by festival director Carlo Conti to secure her participation following her success at the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics.
Brignone won two gold medals at the Games—in the super-G and giant slalom—making her one of the most prominent Italian athletes of the competition. Her performances came after a serious injury that sidelined her for ten months.
During a press conference, Brignone addressed the possibility of appearing at the Sanremo festival. "Me at Sanremo? No thanks, I am a skier and I will remain a skier. I leave the singers to do their work," she said, using direct language that appeared to close the door on participation.
According to reports, Conti had been attempting to arrange her appearance at the Ariston theater. The proposed role would not have been musical in nature; instead, organizers envisioned Brignone sharing her story from the stage and conveying a message of resilience that has resonated with Italian audiences.
Brignone's injury involved a complex fracture of the tibial plateau and fibular head, along with damage to the collateral ligament. She returned to competition ten months later and produced two flawless downhill runs at the Olympics, securing both gold medals.
Speaking about her recovery, Brignone described the experience: "It was like a film that ended too well," highlighting the sense of calm she felt about her comeback.
While Brignone's statement appeared definitive, sources noted that her phrasing did not entirely rule out future involvement. The possibility of a last-minute change remained, though as of now she is not expected to appear at Sanremo 2026.