National Guard member dies after shooting near White House; FBI investigating as terrorism
U.S. President Donald Trump announced Thursday that Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, died after being shot near the White House; the FBI is investigating the attack as terrorism.
November 27, 2025 - 08:16 PM ET • 2 min read
U.S. President Donald Trump announced Thursday that one of the two National Guard members shot near the White House on Wednesday has died, confirming the first fatality from the attack that federal authorities are investigating as terrorism.
The deceased service member was identified as Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, of Summersville, West Virginia. President Trump shared the news during an address to U.S. troops marking the Thanksgiving holiday.
President Trump praised Specialist Beckstrom, who began her service in June 2023, calling her a "highly respected, young, magnificent person."
The second Guard member injured in the incident, Staff Sergeant Andrew Wolfe, 24, remains in critical condition. President Trump stated that Staff Sergeant Wolfe was "fighting for his life" and was in "very bad shape." Staff Sergeant Wolfe was identified as a Staff Sergeant of the U.S. Air Force.
Terrorism Probe Confirmed
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is treating the shooting of the two National Guard members near the White House as a terrorism investigation, FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed earlier on Thursday.
Patel told reporters that the investigation is ongoing and that the agency is "fully investigating that aspect" of the attack.
Authorities identified the suspected shooter as an Afghan national. FBI Director Patel noted that the suspect had previously worked in Afghanistan alongside U.S. forces and intelligence. The FBI is probing any potential links the suspect may have had, officials said.
The attack occurred in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, severely wounding the two service members who were stationed near the White House complex.