Israeli forces intercept Gaza aid flotilla off Cyprus
Middle East

Israeli forces intercept Gaza aid flotilla off Cyprus

Israeli Navy boarded more than 50 vessels carrying humanitarian aid, detaining activists from multiple countries including Spain, Italy, Ireland, and Brazil.

3:09 PM

Israeli forces intercepted a fleet of more than 50 vessels belonging to the Global Sumud Flotilla on Monday as the convoy navigated international waters southwest of Cyprus, approximately 250 nautical miles from Gaza's coast.

The flotilla, which departed from Turkey's coast on Thursday, was carrying humanitarian aid intended for the Gaza Strip. Activists aboard the vessels posted messages, photos, and videos on social media as Israeli forces boarded the boats throughout the day.

The Global Sumud Flotilla stated it sought "to break the illegal siege on Gaza and open a humanitarian corridor." In a post on social media, the group said: "We demand safe passage for our legal, non-violent humanitarian mission."

Spanish Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares said between 10 and 20 Spanish citizens traveling aboard the flotilla's vessels had been detained. Approximately 45 Spanish nationals were aboard the flotilla's boats. Among those not yet intercepted were activists from Mallorca and Menorca who continued navigating. Albares characterized the detentions as "illegal" and stated the interceptions occurred in international waters near Cyprus.

Five Galician citizens were among those detained, according to sources from the Global Sumud Flotilla's Galician delegation. The detained Galicians included Duarte Ferrín Iglesias from the Holy Blue, Ana Fuentes from the Venus, Andrés Morales Rey from the Atlantic Blue, Xurxo Porrit Lueiro, and Benito González Rodríguez from the Iridescence.

Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said nine Italian citizens had been detained out of approximately 35 Italians aboard the 21 vessels. Tajani stated Italy had been following the situation through its embassy in Tel Aviv, its consulate, and its embassy in Cyprus. He said Italy was requesting the immediate release of its detained citizens, noting a similar incident had occurred weeks earlier.

Three Brazilian women were detained, according to information released by the flotilla organization. The detained Brazilians were identified as Thainara Rogério, Ariadne Teles (coordinator of the flotilla in Brazil), and Beatriz Moreira de Oliveira, a member of the Movement of Those Affected by Dams. A fourth Brazilian, pediatrician Cassio Guedes Pelegrini Junior, remained unaccounted for at the time of reporting.

Margaret Connolly, sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly and a physician, was among six Irish activists detained during the interception, according to a flotilla spokesperson. Karen Moynihan, a spokesperson for the Irish delegation, said 15 Irish people in total had been intercepted, with nine others still navigating and facing "imminent risk."

Some detainees had pre-recorded messages in anticipation of Israeli military action. Margaret Connolly and her companions released videos recorded in advance on Monday.

Activists aboard the vessels were transferred to Israeli naval vessels, with some reportedly being transported toward the Israeli port of Ashdod, according to reports citing Ynet.

Turkey's Foreign Ministry condemned the interception, characterizing it as an act of "piracy." The ministry stated: "We condemn the intervention of Israeli forces in international waters against the Global Sumud Flotilla, organized to carry humanitarian aid to Gaza, which constitutes a new act of piracy." Turkey called on Israel to cease its intervention immediately and release all detained activists without conditions. The Turkish government noted that citizens from approximately 40 countries were aboard the flotilla.

In Palma, Spain, approximately 50 people gathered Monday afternoon outside the headquarters of the Government Delegation in the Balearic Islands to demand the release of the detained flotilla activists and call on the Spanish government to adopt measures to protect Spanish activists.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry accused the activists of not actually carrying humanitarian supplies, though specific details were not provided in available reports.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited an Israeli Navy command bunker on Monday in connection with the interception operation.

Related Articles