President Donald Trump threatened Monday to bomb Oman if the country "gets in the way" of his effort to end the U.S.-Israel war on Iran, according to remarks made to Fox News.
"If Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the shit out of them," Trump told the network, marking the second time he has directed such a threat at Muscat, a longtime U.S. strategic partner that has traditionally served as a key backchannel between Washington and Tehran.
The threat comes as Trump struggles to draw the conflict to a conclusion nearly six months after it was launched. A diplomatic window agreed with Tehran has expired with no final agreement reached.
The timing of Trump's statement follows announcements by Omani and Iranian authorities approximately ten days earlier that they were close to reaching an agreement to manage traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic maritime passage that has been closed or nearly closed for roughly half a year. The strait faces a dual blockade from both Tehran and Washington.
Oman's role has shifted significantly in recent months. The country initially positioned itself as a mediator and was identified as a possible venue for negotiations between the two parties. However, that mediation role ultimately fell to Pakistan instead.
Trump previously threatened Oman in May, also regarding the country's position as a Gulf ally. The renewed threat on Monday reflects escalating pressure as negotiations over the strait's control remain unresolved.
Related Articles
Trump threatens to 'destroy' Oman over Iran strait negotiations
U.S. President Donald Trump threatened military action against Oman during a cabinet meeting, citing reported talks between Oman and Iran over controlling the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump warns Iran of "very bad time" as ceasefire tensions escalate
President Trump threatened severe consequences if Iran fails to reach a peace deal, as Tehran plans Strait of Hormuz tolls and Hezbollah strikes Israeli targets.
Trump says Iran shot down US Apache helicopter over Strait of Hormuz
President Trump accused Iran of downing a U.S. military helicopter during patrol operations. Both pilots were rescued safely and remain uninjured.
Trump rebukes Netanyahu in heated call over Lebanon offensive
U.S. President Donald Trump clashed with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over military operations in Lebanon, using profanity and threatening language during a Monday phone call.
Hegseth threatens Iran infrastructure attacks if cease-fire fails
US defence secretary renews threat to target Iran's power generation and energy infrastructure should negotiations collapse.
Trump extends Iran ceasefire, maintains port blockade
President Trump extended a temporary truce with Iran pending submission of a unified proposal, while keeping U.S. military blockade in place.