Iran International journalist Pouria Zaratifoukolaei stabbed in London at behest of Iran
Crime

Two Romanian men on trial for stabbing London journalist

George Stana and Nandito Badea deny charges in attack on Iran International reporter Pouria Zeraati in March 2024.

5:38 PM

Two Romanian men are on trial at Woolwich Crown Court for the stabbing of a journalist working for a Persian-language opposition television station in London, prosecutors said Monday.

Pouria Zeraati, a British journalist of Iranian origin employed by Iran International, was attacked outside his west London home in late March 2024. He sustained three stab wounds to his leg and was hospitalized following the assault.

George Stana, 25, and Nandito Badea, 21, both deny charges of wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm and unlawful wounding. According to the prosecution, Badea wielded the knife during the attack, while Stana drove a Mazda used as the getaway vehicle.

The court heard that the stabbing was a planned attack ordered by a third party acting on behalf of the Iranian state. Prosecutors told the court the assault was part of a campaign of "Iranian terror" targeting the journalist.

Evidence presented to the court included posters of Zeraati that had been displayed in Tehran, the Iranian capital, bearing the words "Wanted: dead or alive." The court heard his image had appeared on such a poster in 2022.

Zeraati worked for Iran International, a Farsi-language dissident broadcaster based in London. The prosecution's opening statement, delivered by Duncan Atkinson KC, outlined the allegations against the two defendants as the trial began Monday.

Both men sat with their heads bent towards interpreters during the court proceedings.

Related Articles