Israeli finance minister says ICC prosecutor issued arrest warrant against him
Middle East

Israeli finance minister says ICC prosecutor issued arrest warrant against him

Bezalel Smotrich claims The Hague tribunal has sought his arrest, calling it a declaration of war and describing the court as antisemitic.

10:33 AM

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich announced Tuesday that the International Criminal Court's prosecutor has issued an arrest warrant against him, according to statements made during a government appearance.

Smotrich, an ultranationalist far-right politician, characterized the warrant as "a declaration of war" and said the move targeted not only himself but also other senior Israeli officials. He stated that arrest warrants had been sought against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, and himself.

"Emitting arrest orders against the prime minister, the defense minister and the finance minister is a declaration of war," Smotrich said. "The Palestinian Authority is the one that initiated the war and, therefore, will receive war."

The Finance Minister did not specify the charges underlying the arrest warrant. He described the ICC as an "antisemitic" tribunal, language Israeli authorities have previously used in response to international legal proceedings.

National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir also faces an arrest warrant from the ICC prosecutor, according to reporting by the Israeli newspaper Haaretz on Sunday. The outlet also cited arrest warrants against Orit Strock, an ultraorthodox minister overseeing settler settlements, and two Israeli military officials, though Smotrich did not name all individuals in his statement.

In a social media post, Smotrich stated: "I promise all our enemies that this is only the beginning," signaling defiance toward the international legal action.

Following his announcement, Smotrich issued an order to demolish Khanyounis al-Ahmar, a Bedouin locality east of Jerusalem, according to reports of his actions on Tuesday. The timing of the demolition order came shortly after his public remarks regarding the arrest warrant.

The ICC prosecutor's office in The Hague had sought the warrants in secret, according to Smotrich's disclosure.

Related Articles