Jared Kushner, son-in-law and special envoy of U.S. President Donald Trump, met with Hamas leaders in Cairo on Sunday as part of a renewed diplomatic push to advance a peace plan for Gaza, according to Palestinian sources and Egyptian officials.
The meeting took place in the presence of mediators from Egypt, Qatar, and Turkey, officials said. Kushner arrived in Egypt unannounced and first met with Egyptian President Abdelfatah al-Sisi in the coastal city of El Alamein, where Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and the head of Egypt's General Intelligence Service, Hasan Rashad, were also present.
During the talks with Hamas representatives, the group reiterated its commitment to the agreement, while Kushner demanded the total disarmament of the Palestinian group and that it have no role in any future Gaza government, according to Palestinian sources who requested anonymity.
Egyptian government spokesman Mohamed El Shennawy said the meeting "highlighted the need for all parties to fulfill their obligations under the ceasefire agreement in the Gaza Strip."
The diplomatic engagement centers on a 15-point peace plan outlined by Trump, which has faced significant obstacles. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected the plan last week, according to reports. Kushner is scheduled to travel to Israel following his Egypt visit to meet with Netanyahu.
The talks represent an attempt by Washington to narrow differences between Israel and Hamas over implementation of the Trump administration's proposed roadmap for Gaza. U.S. delegations also held separate meetings with Egyptian authorities on Sunday to discuss the situation in the Palestinian enclave, officials said.
Hamas approved the peace plan framework in July, according to sources cited in reports of the negotiations.
Related Articles
Trump calls on Middle East nations to normalize Israel ties
During a conference call, Trump urged countries to join the Abraham Accords if a US-Iran deal is reached.
Trump announces three-week extension of Israel-Lebanon ceasefire
President Trump said Israel and Lebanon agreed to extend their ceasefire by three weeks following White House talks with representatives from both countries.
Pro-Palestinian activist Khalil sues Trump officials, pro-Israel groups
Mahmoud Khalil, detained last year for leading Columbia protests, alleges a conspiracy to suppress Palestinian advocacy through coordinated government and private action.
Trump rebukes Netanyahu in heated call over Lebanon offensive
U.S. President Donald Trump clashed with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over military operations in Lebanon, using profanity and threatening language during a Monday phone call.
Trump threatens Iran while Vance pursues talks in Switzerland
Vice President Vance met Iranian officials in Switzerland on Sunday as President Trump warned of further military action against Iran over proxy activity in Lebanon.
Israel kills Hamas military chief Izz al-Din al-Haddad in Gaza strike
Israeli forces killed the leader of Hamas' military wing on Friday in Gaza City. Al-Haddad was one of the architects of the October 7, 2023 attacks.