Jannik Sinner, the world No. 1, has withdrawn from the U.S. Open due to a right knee injury, the Italian announced Friday. The withdrawal comes less than 24 hours after his rival Carlos Alcaraz confirmed he will compete at the tournament following a four-month absence from a wrist injury.
Sinner has not played a competitive match since winning the Wimbledon title last month, when he defeated Alexander Zverev to successfully defend his championship at the All England Club. He subsequently withdrew from the hard-court Masters 1000 events in Montreal and Cincinnati, which typically serve as preparation for the U.S. Open.
"Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year," Sinner said in a statement posted Friday. "We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue."
The 25-year-old expressed disappointment at missing the tournament, which begins its main draw on August 30. "I'm obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there," he said.
Great Britain's Jack Draper is also out of the U.S. Open, still recovering from a bone bruise in his left arm.
Related Articles
Sinner eliminated from Roland Garros in second round after physical collapse
World number one Jannik Sinner withdrew from the French Open after suffering heat-related illness while leading Argentine Juan Manuel Cerundolo two sets to love and 5-2 in the third.
Alcaraz withdraws from Cincinnati Open with wrist injury
The world number two has not played since April and will miss the final major tuneup before the U.S. Open, where he is defending champion.
Sinner breaks Djokovic's Masters 1000 win streak record at Italian Open
World No. 1 defeats Rublev 6-2, 6-4 in Rome quarterfinals, extending consecutive Masters victories to 32 and overall streak to 27 matches.
Sinner advances to Madrid Masters quarterfinals after defeating Norrie
Italian top seed Jannik Sinner defeated Cameron Norrie in the round of 16 at the Madrid Masters 1000. Compatriot Lorenzo Musetti was eliminated by Jiri Lehecka.